Between the crazy pressure to compete economically, the many competitors seeking ways to crush you, your never-ending hours at work, whether at the office or solving problems via your smart phone, the stress of running a successful business can be literally soul crushing.
Ironically, the movements of late for
balance have actually backfired. A recent study by Project: Time Off, younger generations of executives are just as likely as Boomers to trap themselves into a life of “work martyrdom”. The arguments made in defense:
- “No one else at my company can do the work while I’m away.”
- “I want to show complete dedication to my company and job.”
- “I don’t want others to think I am replaceable.”
- “I feel guilty for using my paid time off.”
Business leaders find themselves exhausted by these impossible demands, resulting in high levels of stress, anxiety, health problems, relationship complications, and deteriorating work performance, all culminating in a level of dissatisfaction nearly impossible to shake.
Work martyrs face 2 choices:
- Reduce the sources of stress
- Increase your ability to manage the effects of stress
So let’s assume that you are not going to quit your job and retire early… that leaves finding ways to find your own Xanadu, your refuge from the storm, your own formula for decreasing stress and increasing profitability.
- Get to know your Stress Patterns.
- Stomach ache
- Jaw clenching
- Sudden increased body temperature
- Faster heart rate
- Overly emotional reactions
- There are more patterns than can be listed here, but you will recognize the markers in yourself.
- Identify Stress Triggers
- Work hours
- Employee challenges
- Missed objectives
- Personal and/or Work relationship problems
- Dislike of your work/role
- Holiday pressures
- Striving to be Perfect
- Take proactive steps to address stress levels
- Stress Breaks
- Rethink your Work Organization
- Dedicate time for recovery
- Set effective boundaries
- Engage an executive coach to guide you through the perils of your stress driven work life
So where to start? The entire premise of the Xanadu Code is to identify the best practices of top leaders in their fields and replicate those practices that empower without debilitating. What are your top techniques for maxing out your productivity while maintaining a healthy life balance?
Knowledge is power. By identifying and capitalizing on proven methods to reduce stress and maximize productivity and life satisfaction, the Xanadu Code, the path to peaceful innovation and progress, becomes clear.
For more information, contact founder and CEO Zsolt Bicskey at www.XanaduCode.com.